Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rachel In The U.S.A.

Before I get started I wanted to note the anemic response to the Birthday Pool that Martina posted a couple days ago. Did we mention there are prizes involved?

That's right: the prize for the person third away from guessing Rachel's age is the stub from my boarding pass on Rachel's return flight to the U.S. Suitable for framing!

The prize for the person second away from guessing Rachel's age is my Starbuck's gift card. This gift card was given to me for Christmas, starting with a balance of $15, and now it has a balance of $4.12. That's right! It might not be enough for a "Venti" anything but it will definitely get you a "Grande" Frapuccino, Mocha, Latte, or any coffee drink sold by participating Starbucks coffee houses worldwide.

On a more serious note, the grand prize will be the DVD "Annie." Winners will be announced at the shower that will be held for Rachel, February 28 at Grace Church in Napa. Admission is free.

Well, here we all are back in the U.S.A. Martina got a 1-day flu, so I took Rachel to court. I had one arraignment at 8:30 in Napa court, then two pre-trial conferences on the 10:00 calendar. Rachel sat quietly for the arraignment, which took about half a minute, then we left the courtroom. Before we left the bailiff in that department, who until now has not been gruff, but very business-like, gave me an expression that said "aw, she is so cute." I had never seen an emotional expression on that guy's face.

Then I went to the clerk's office downstairs, where from time to time Martina and I had told them about the adoption that was in the works. I also knew it would be a slow time in the clerk's office.

All clerks there was TOTALLY ENTHRALLED with Rachel. Swoons of "how cute" and "she is just adorable" filled the clerk's office. I think they even called out the supervisors and research attorneys. Swooning was all around.

Everyone was trying to meet her and shake her hand, and we will need to work on Rachel meeting people, shaking hands and saying "nice to meet you." She also might have been a little confused by some of the Hispanic women who tried talking Spanish to her. But it was almost a party there with Rachel as the toast of the town. As we left the clerk's office, someone shouted "Bye Gorgeous." I turned around and said "Are you talking to me?" Everyone had a big laugh, but I didn't think it was that hilarious that someone would refer to me as "gorgeous."

After a couple of local errands, Rachel and I returned for the 10:00 calendar in the courthouse, which was longer than the earlier court appearance. Rachel sat in the courtroom and was quiet and well-behaved. An hispanic woman tried whispering some Spanish to her.

When we were finished, we went downstairs to the clerk's office to finalize the paperwork for one of our clients. The clerks resumed their celebration of Rachel right where they left off, and now there were some people standing in line who also joined in the Rachel love-fest. It got so intense that I was almost worried someone would lift Rachel up on their shoulders and parade her around to wide acclaim. That's where I drew the line. No lifting her up on anyone's shoulders.

This got me thinking: it is too bad this is such a racist country. As Martina and I were taught in the many seminars and required readings that we had to experience before we could adopt, America is a thoroughly racist country. Thoroughly! Whites hate blacks and hispanics, hispanics hate Asians, who in turn hate Native Americans. No one can understand teenager language anymore. Indian-Americans and Native Americans are constantly annoyed at being confused for the other group. And Eskimos, well, they hate everyone because they are so eager to get drilling jobs in ANWAR, which keeps getting turned down by Congress. You get the picture. A cesspool of hate.

This really is an awful country -- racist to the core -- as exhibited by this parade of swooners in the Napa court clerk's office. (OK, I'll tone down the sarcasm now.)

Later on I took Rachel to our acreage and we planted a couple of olive trees and spread some straw (this is a soil erosion thing for rural land). Although she wasn't too happy to do any of this, she kept offering to help. Pictures to follow once I get the computer to cooperate.






At first Rachel wouldn't help me with my chores so I found a boulder for her to sit on and watch me work. I think she'll be a good union employee someday!






Once I got Rachel to help me plant the olive trees she insisted on doing work that I thought was too intense for her. Here she is shown carrying one of the posts used to stabilize the tree.



After we were done planting two olive trees we spread some straw around our property. Rachel helped out.





Rachel paused to take a rest next to one of the olive trees we just planted.






Later on Martina got Rachel suited up for bee-keeping, so that Rachel can help tend to the bee-hives on our property. This bee suit seems to fit Rachel perfectly!

5 comments:

  1. Did you fall asleep while writing this blog? It feels like it's unfinished :) I'm glad you got to show her off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mary, were you done?

    As for the blog-comment-anemia, I think it is going around as people have real things to do. Just a guess. If no one guesses right who get's the prizes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of your ladies in bee-keeping outfits is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still amazed...I would like to go ahead and get permission now to ride Rachel on my shoulders. Uncle Martin

    ReplyDelete