Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Rachel's party and other things!

Rachel's party at church was just wonderful. I know I speak for Tommy also when I say that I've never felt so loved and cared for than from our brothers and sisters at our church. (www.gracenapa.org) Thanks to all who participated.

Rachel's pediatrician called with the age given by the radiologist as a result of the bone age x-ray. He placed her between 3 and 3 1/2. Dr. Wong said that based on her own examination she believes that 3 1/2 is correct. We were quite surprised. I even tried to argue with her a bit that Rachel must be closer to 4 1/2 because she is so bright. But Dr. Wong became quite serious and said that she trusts her exam and the science behind the x-ray. Rachel is a healthy, well-nourished child that is 3 1/2. So, praise God! She is 3 1/2. This means that the photo we have of her taken November 4, 2006 shows a one and a half year old or so. Funny thing is that when we were given this photo, the agency said, "we know she looks to be about 2 in this picture, but we don't know when it was taken. " My own detective work through her files gave me the date of the photo.

Most folks who've spent a lot of time with her agree with Dr. Wong's assessment. Our family child psychologist also concurs. Why fight a good thing? We'll go with Dr. Wong's letter and have her birth certificate reflect this. It gives us more time at home without having to do the official homeschooing thing. So. Yay!

--Marty

5 comments:

  1. Wow! So she's about half the age that you were originally told? Well, if their hinkey math helped in the adoption process, then it was a Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel is an absolute doll! So friendly and loving! So full of energy! Sorry Ellie and I missed you at Mary's. Look forward to seeing more of Rachel and look forward to you meeting Ellie. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is rather shocking, I must say..but like you said, more time before school officially starts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for all of you. Rachel seems to be adapting well. I love the picture of you two in your beekeeper suits! Lonnie is really looking forward to our visit this summer. We all are, but you know Lonnie - she talks about it every night. I wish we didn't live so far away, but I am happy that you are surrounded by loving friends and family...you are blessed in so many ways. Your loving sister-Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree it will give you more time for the little things with Rachel before she has to start schooling - enjoy this time - hugs from us here - Isabel & Wally

    ReplyDelete