Saturday, January 31, 2009

Arrived!

Thank you, Lord Jesus!
Here we are in a wonderful city called Pune (poo-nay). I just took a hot shower and am now eating pistacios (provided by the hotel) and drinking bottled water (ditto).

Oh! The social worker from the orphage is calling. ...We get her at 10 a.m. tomorrow! (That's 9:30 p.m. Sunday night in California). I'm so overwhelmed. We need to pick out an outfit to take with us according to Meenal (the social worker.)

Our trip involved Seoul, Korea, Singapore, change of planes to Delhi, immigration, customs, taxi to the domestic airport, plane to Pune. BTW, India is just gorgeous, very poor, but gorgeous. We saw Calcutta from the air. Its huge. Seemed more like a country we flew over it so long. The Himalayas are amazing. Wish I could have seen more, but I think when we fly back to Delhi we'll get a better view. The fertile areas around Pune have amazing plant life. We saw hundreds, maybe thousands of red poinsettias growing near the airport. ...we also say miles and miles of tent cities.
I'll sign off before I get too incoherent in my stream of consciousness ramblings. Off to find some good Tandoori/curry/hot hot hot Indian food, then a Tylenol p.m. for each of us and off to bed. ...don't worry about "jet lag"; I don't believe it. Too much to do and see.
love, Marty
Tom's 2 cents:
I can't believe the driving here! Its as if the rules of the road are mere suggestions. I'm just amazed their are not fatalities all over the road, worse than Rome.
While I have mixed feelings about India (the poverty) I am fascinated by everything we see here.

4 comments:

  1. I can hardly contain myself! This time tomorrow, she'll be with YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited for you! Bobby says congratulations...this has been a long time coming! I have been praying that your travels are safe. Looking forward to seeing all of you soon. Love you both. Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another little girl for the family! Hope to see lots of pictures! God is good indeed - what an amazing adventure He has brought you on! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh!!!I am about to explode I'm so excited!
    Call me.

    ReplyDelete